Sunday, June 7, 2009

all about pesto



lets just start off by saying,
i have basil coming out my ears. i planted alot this year, knowing i wanted to make pesto with it.
i LOVE pesto. it is so fresh and flavorful. so perfect for summer. so yummy.
heres the recipe i used. i got it from the blog of the amazing kelly mccalleb.
i love this recipe because it is so simple, you cant mess it up and it uses walnuts instead of pine nuts. walnuts and more easy to find and less expensive. and i love the nutty flavor it brings to the sauce.

pesto:
mix together in food processor or blender:
3 cups fresh basil leaves, 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts, 3 cloves of garlic, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese. while processing slowly pour in 1 cup extra virgin olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.(it needs quite a bit). pour over noodles of your choice. it really doesnt take that much pesto to coat your noodles, so add a little at a time. i doubled this recipe and it made a little bit over a full canning jar. i put the extras in freezer bags, sealed out all the air, and put it in the freezer for other meals.


the other day i made this as a snack. very delicious.
slice of french bread. spread pesto on bread. top with sliced tomatoes(so yummy if they are from your garden), shredded parmesan cheese,and a little fresh cracked pepper. put under the broiler until cheese is melted.


here are some other good lookin recipes i found that you can use with your pesto:

pesto twists
pesto herb spread
smoked mozzarella and pesto sandwich
cream of tomato soup with pesto

happy pesto making!


**dont forget about the discount you get at my shop! check it out!

3 comments:

Lexi said...

that is a lot of pesto lol. I have to say I have never tried pesto, but you make it sound so good, maybe I will be brave!

Julz said...

Yummy for my big prego tummy! I wish we lived close so we can do this stuff together. I can't tell you enough how talented you are, now the trick is getting you to believe it;) I am so proud to call you my Best Friend. You are such a wonderful Wife, Mommy, Daughter and Friend. I hope one day I can be half as wonderful as you are. Luv ya Hess
P.S. Callie looks like a Madame Alexander doll ( Darling )

The Godoy's said...

ok is there anything you can't do?? you are amazing. I want to be JUST like you:) Oh and by the way...please please please know I was kidding when I said "rude" to you...I was TOTALLY kidding!!!!