Thursday, June 9, 2011

On the menu

I love summer produce. I seriously look forward to going to the farmers market every week and filling my fridge with bright & yummy veggies and fruits.

I have been more serious about feeding my kids, myself, and my spouse healthier meals. We don't drink soda anymore. We dropped that bad habit a long time ago and we feel wonderful. We exercise. We rarely eat out, maybe once a week. I don't buy sweets. If I did I know I would scarf them. Sweets are my weakness. We just don't buy them so they aren't in the pantry calling my name and tempting me. Don't get the wrong idea that I'm so strict I never eat sugar. I like to take things in moderation and I indulge sometimes. I will make cookies with the kids or go out for ice cream or frozen yogurt. I'm nicer to myself and others if I let myself enjoy some good stuff once in awhile.
I love to cook, but nights do occur when I make something, & it doesn't turn out, so we have to think of something fast to eat because the kids are beastly hungry. It happens. I'm still learning. But I get really frustrated when a meal doesn't turn out like I wanted it to.When things don't work out it usually goes something like this: It gets really hot in my kitchen, my feet hurt, the kids are crying that they are "starving!" and they keep sneaking into the pantry for food and dumping it all over the floor, I just wasted all of the ingredients and...... I have to start all over and make another meal.
Enough mumbling, here are some favorite meals that have turned out to be delish and that my family devours.



+ hamburger on a whole wheat bun. grilled corn fresh fruit with fruit dip. cherry tomatoes from my garden with garden basil and balsamic sprinkled with parm:








chicken taquitos. not so healthy, but yum! :








lime cilantro and pineapple brown rice. baked parm zucchini. BBQ salmon. my kids devoured this meal and asked for 3rds!







alfredo (my own recipe, no measurements, just whip up a cream sauce flavored with chicken stock, garlic and parm) grilled garlic artichokes, sauteed mushrooms and peas:







roasted asparagus, strawberries, chicken and vegetable peanut curry. it doesnt look the greatest, but it was GOOD! i just added whatever veggies i had on hand.







mango pico de gallo. we chowed this. i bought more mangos this week to make it again.







apple tart with homemade crust:








 another fav that ive talked about before, green smoothies:


 
my friend chelsea makes them pretty much the same as i do, and she shows you how here.
i like to add oj concentrate to mine, just a few spoon fulls. i also add some ground flax to mine. i agree with her that a vitamix is very helpful with green smoothies. they are smooth, not chunky, which makes a big difference. i like to throw in a carrot or two to the green smoothie. it whips that sucker up and you would never know it was there.
 
 
 
 

zucchini bread muffins. i pulled a huge zucchini from my garden and i knew i wanted to make this. it has a hint of orange that gives it a punch. i also subbed whole wheat flour for the white flour. the picky neighbor girls ate them all in one afternoon!
0


fire update:
the fire has reached up to 389,000 acres. there is some good news, amidst all the bad, the quaint town of greer is still standing. what a relief.

6 comments:

Lexi said...

these meals look delicious! I cannot wait until I start cooking again. Like really cooking lol. The mango pico looks the best. If you guys like mushrooms, you can make pizza on portobello mushrooms, it is one of my FAV healthy meals. SO yummy! Love this post. I am thinking about following, greensmoothiegirl.com... can't decide!

mom said...

It's June 9th, and I was looking back to see if I missed any blogs, and came across the mother's day one. How did I miss Mother's day? Those are sweet memories of you and I! Motherhood is the hardest role Ive ever filled! You were such a fun little girl. You kept me hopping but that was a good thing! You grew up way to fast Jess. Where is that little one who would dance on my toes? Oh ya, she now goes by the names of Addie, Callie, and Walker! How fun it is to see my little ones in their little ones! A way to remember the sweetness of days gone by. I love you too!!! xo mom

mom said...

Thank you for the fire links. I'm so sad to see our beautiful play ground destroyed for the most part. It won't ever be what it once was. I spent my summers as a child and teen in greer. Dad and I honeymooned in greer. When we had you kids, we made greer our playground and I so wanted to do the same with my grandchildren! What wonderful memories I have. Remember going there when you were little, on General Conference Saturday, when we would take a picnic and lay out a big blanket and pillows by the creek and listen to conference. You kids would throw sticks in the creek and climb the rocks. Dad and I would lazily watch you, and read, and play cards. We enjoyed seeing you in that setting. The three of you laughing and playing without distractions of neighborhood friends or t.v. or anything else. You truly enjoyed each other. I'm sad today. xoxo mom

ashley b said...

those all look so yummy! i'm trying to get back into the swing of cooking since the beginning of this pregnancy rendered me incapable of anything dealing with smells. :) we stopped buying soda a while ago too and i put my foot down on buying little debbies EVER. it's nice not to have them hanging around the house. on occasion we'll buy a little treat, but our fave now seems to be popcorn.

Swasey family said...

LOVE this post!!!THe food looks great!I love hearing other moms have (bad night dinners) with the same disaster of kid meltdowns everywhere...u are sooo not alone:)

Tatum said...

Mmmm! Looks delicious! We eat super healthy around here too! as many fruits and vegetables as possible. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't use my vitamix. I'm so happy you have one too! Play date this week?!!!!!