Saturday, June 14, 2008

summer projects

I've decided to post often some of the summer projects that i do with my children so all you moms can get some ideas, and we can keep our kids busy, using their imaginations and gaining some creativity and self esteem. i came across this blog (thank you candace!), she uses a lot of ideas from the book The Preschoolers Busy Book.great blog, check it out! I have The Toddlers Busy Book and i love it. It gives a lot of ideas and you use things that you already have around your house! just love it! i am currently the highest bidder for the Preschoolers book on ebay! (whoever i am bidding against... just give up!) lets hope i win because i really want that book. anyway, here are some of the activities we have been doing....



{the puppet show}
i cut out images from an old coloring book and glued them on some popsicle sticks to make puppets. addie colored them and picked out her favorite! i want to make a better theater, im thinking of cardboard? we'll see if i get around to it!


all of the people in the play. i especially love red riding hood, the bird and the topless mermaid!



{washing money}
what kid doesnt like money, bubbles, water and making things shine!?
i just added some dish soap to a plastic container, added water, emptied out the coin jar, gave her an old toothbrush, and let her at it! she sat there forever! this was a hit!




{cut, paste, color,repeat}
addie is learning to cut with her OWN scissors! has to be her OWN scissors, you know how it is! i again helped her cut images out of a coloring book. i ran out of glue sticks so i put some modge podge in a bowl and let her apply it on the paper with a stick. kinda like painting. she enjoyed that. then she colored them. its a different way to use your coloring books and changes things up a bit for them!



{another idea i have used that i can add to the list is homemade playdoh. i put it on my blog awhile ago. go here to see the recipe. its fun for them to help you make it and then play with it! and if your nervous that your child might eat it, i have an edible recipe also....

Peanut Butter Playdoh

2 C. peanut butter
6 Tbls. honey
nonfat dry milk, or milk plus flour
cocoa for chocolate flavoring(optional, i've never added it before)
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix, adding enough dry milk or milk plus flour to reach the consistency of bread dough. Add cocoa if desired. Shape and eat!

I remember playing with this as a kid and it really is tasty!

So i hope some of this was helpful to you moms! And if you have any ideas you want to share of things you have been doing at home with your wee ones, please email me, mhig36@yahoo.com. i would love to get more ideas, and maybe i will post some of them!
Heres to a summer of busy kids!

7 comments:

Julz said...

HaHa my son would have that water all over on the floor in no time. Im glad it worked for you though I would love for my kid to sit and do something like that and be good about it. Did you find some of those things off of "my plum pudding"? that sight has some awsome stuff on there huh? we need to get together some day and do some projects off of there. that would be fun. Miss you guys.

The Van Fam said...

Jessica! I loved all of these ideas! I am so excited you posted this... I actually just posted something like your summertime post on my blog (and mentioned you hehe) bc I feel the same way! It is hard to find fun things for kids to do when it is so hot you cant just let them run wild outside. Honestly I have been checking back on your summertime post to get ideas haha. So thanks for these! They all look so fun! Hope you guys are having a fun summer!

Lexi said...

I LOVE that money washing idea. I think i am going to try it. I have a recipe for peppermint playdough that I plan on trying this week. Durnig the summer, we make a summer journal and have a morning message. You could try that with addie too. We just fill out a page in the journal every few days. They color and then I write about what they tell me. It can be fun too.

andrea said...

These are such cute ideas! I'll have to read that book, sounds like it has a ton of good stuff in it.

It is fun living here but believe it or not I do miss AZ a lot sometimes! Mostly because all our family is there, you guys have better restaurants and shopping though! Someday you'll move, if you want it bad enough!

Cody and Danica said...

plop them in front of the tv.

Jk.

Its no wonder I'm not a mom yet. Too lazy.

Tatum said...

I love the money washing idea! I'm seriously doing that with Peyton today. She loves to clean. You're so so clever!

Ashley Madsen said...

SO cute! Great ideas! I have a question for you. Where do you buy all of your fun fabrics? Fabric is just starting to get so expensive along with everything else. I was just wondering. I always love the fabrics you show.

ashley_marie09@hotmail.com