Wednesday, September 9, 2009

enjoying a moment of motherhood


i took a moment this afternoon and sat on addies bed with callie. addie was at school. i listened to callie read me story after story in her helium voice. i felt bumps happening from inside my belly. the light coming in from the window was so pretty and heart warming. my thoughts drifted, i thought about how grateful i am that i am able to stay at home with my children, and that i don't have to go to work, and that i have a desire to stay home. on the radio the other morning they were talking about women and how they are taking over the work force. they had at one point mentioned they believe men should stay home and maybe that's how it was supposed to be all along, women working, men staying home. it made me so sad. it made me take more pride in saying "I'm a mom, i stay at home with my children". its not easy, emotionally or physically, it is stressful, it makes you go bonkers some days, and most of the time you don't get recognition or people telling you that you are doing a good job. but i cant imagine doing anything else (even on the days when i feel so inadequate and wonder why in the world i was even allowed to have children). i am a mother. that's what i "do". and I'm so happy. i really am.

4 comments:

Addie Gaylord said...

seriously, this is just what i needed to read today. after a night of being a wake from 1 to 5:30 with my two year old i was ready to throw my hands in the air and admit defeat. thank you so much!

Lexi said...

what a wonderful post, i have had over a week of horrible kid days, so it was nice and refreshing to read your gratitude post. If only i were more gracious lol. Women in the workforce was just brought up in one of my classes, dont worry, I totally defended us!

Tatum said...

I wish I could slow down and enjoy motherhood more. Why am I always in such a rush?! Such a shame. Love this post Jess!

Brianna Avery said...

See you are such a positive person! I need to be more that way! I love the fact that I get to stay home too. It's such a blessing and especially in this day in age. :)