Wednesday, January 13, 2010

saturday morning breakfast

a dunkin donuts recently opened down the road from us. and every time we drive by the girls always ask if we can buy some dounts. well in all honesty they yell from the back seat at the top of their lungs, "Donuts! we want donuts!!!" so polite, i know!

but i dont blame them! i mean, who doesnt love a good donut every now and then? but they cost a pretty penny and are packed with plenty of calories.


so i couldnt help but make these for the family when i came across this recipe using ready to use biscuit dough,







1 glazed donut is 220 calories while
1 biscuit (equal to 1 donut and 1 donut ball)
is 50 calories.



these really came together incredibly fast! and how clever of them to use a medicine cup to cut the middle out, it worked out great!
we lightly (ahem) dusted our donuts with powdered sugar
and some with cinnamon and sugar.



but how did we rate them?


thumbs up by both girls, and daddy. they loved them! i couldnt get them off the stove fast enough. i will defiantly be making these again.
it was the perfect "special saturday morning breakfast".

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

what a great idea. my kids scream for dunkin donuts too but i know what you are saying about the sugar and calories. i will definently try this out and the girls look so cute in the last pic!

Julz said...

That's how we made donuts growing up all the time. Thanks for reminding me the boys will love to do that! I am so glad to here that you would not like it so much if I fell off the porch..wink wink ;) I am so lucky to have you as a friend. You truly are so very much important to me. I just hope I can be as good as a friend to you as you are to me. ahum... man, is someone cutting onions? So tell me when you want me to come down and I will be there. Andrew said to go whenever you want me to come. so just let me know. Can't wait to see you agian, Luv ya

Tatum said...

This post makes me laugh out loud! We live across the street from a Dunkin Donuts and have never been until this morning when I just couldn't take it anymore... I had to have one!

The Van Fam said...

We love these too! Its our family tradition to make them before the morning session of Gen. conf. every year! Looks like your girls enjoyed them!