Friday, April 4, 2008

on a personal level

here, we dance in the living room.



i want to be a better mother with a softer, quieter voice. more smiles on my face. more words of encouragement slip through my lips. more hugs (with thinner arms, i wish). i want to give them more service, pay more attention. color, play pretend parade and march around the house. particapate. not worry about the dust, the fingerprints... they dont matter... well, as much as my girls!:o) i want them to have good, happy memories of me. i need to change. i need to find the selfless, happy mother inside. i want to be a better mother. i am so very tired and on meds so i may look at this tomorrow and wonder what i was thinking when i was writing this. but it is from my heart. my blog is for me, my journal, my scrapbooking. it will become a book each year. i love to see new and old friends and share ideas and thoughts and stories with others, but i do this for my family. so i suppose i can speak from my heart.
{i am going to print this off tonight and read it again before bed. so inspirational and needed in my life.

6 comments:

Josh and Cori said...

don't feel like you're alone in wanting to do more things with your kids. I think all mothers go through this-feeling guilty because they want their kids to have wonderful memories of their mother when they were a kid, but then, there is all the other "wife and mother work" we are responsible for, too. Sometimes there just isn't time enough in the day to do everything we would like. I think as long as we are doing the best we can, we will be blessed, and our kids will love us no matter what, if we try to give them our best. But-giving our kids our best does not mean everything else has to go neglected too. We all just have to find that balance-easier said than done, huh?

andrea said...

I love your post, that talk is great. I always try to be better at this too. It's something that you have to keep at everyday, or you can get distracted. Just forgetting the house and all the laundry and making crafts with your kids is the best! You must be a wonderful mom just to try :) Sorry for the random comment, but I could relate.

Lexi said...

I have so been feeling like this lately too and I just read an article in the Ensign this month that really inspired me. A mother said that she didn't like camping because it was so much work. And her friend told her that she only camps because her husband has such fond memories of it and she wants that for her children. And I realized that it is so true. Children won't remember the mess, they will only remember if you helped them make it messy.

Caitlin said...

Jessica, that is so funny because after listening to conference this morning. I dont know even know who it was but he was talking about reprimanding in a quiet voice and then showering them with love! Boy did I need that today! I feel you. Its so hard to fit it all in a day. To finish the housework and be a memorable mom is like trying to run a marathon for me and I only have one!

Tatum said...

You have such a good heart :) I love this post. I so badly want to be a better mother too. Can I offer one small piece of advice? Please, please make time for yourself, make time to spend with your husband! Have fun and relax. I always have such a better attitude when I've done something separate from being a mom. It is such a huge responsibility with no end. Often I need a break to put things in perspective. I love that talk! That made me cry. You're children are so so lucky to have such a WONDERFUL mother :)

Ashley Harris said...

I loved this post! I think every mother feels this way! I know I do for sure. I can't believe how much you accomplish in one day, and so much of it is just loving and being with your daughters. You are creating memories that they remember, if not the exact things that you did, they'll remember how they felt and that their mother loved them. And that's the most important thing of all.