Friday, August 22, 2008

how do you save?

today i woke up and decided to make pancakes for breakfast. i went to the pantry and , o darn, we are out of pancake mix. then i thought, well why do i need a pre mix to make pancakes? i will just make them from scratch. so i pulled out my cookbook and started to make. then i got to the baking powder part. o darn, im out of baking powder. well i remembered that i had read somewhere you can make your own. (ya, no joke. you can! :) so i ran to the computer and found it... 1/4 C. cream of tarter, 2 tbls. baking soda. they turned out to be some of the best pancakes! ya, it took me a little longer, but worth it. i dont think i will by pancake mix again! later i was making my shopping list of a few things i needed. tortillas being on the list. then i thought again, i could make them! so i whipped out an old relief society cookbook my mother-in-law had given me and sure enough i found a recipe (and it was my sister-in-laws). it was so easy. i am trying to be a little more self sufficient and trying to find more little ways i can save money. making little things like tortillas, salad dressing, cake frosting, baking powder are a few things i figured out i could do. when the weather gets a little cooler i would like to master homemade bread. i just cant get it for some dang reason!? i also try to save a little by not letting my gas tank get past half. it is suppose to help with mileage. i turn up our thermostat at night. (80 deg. to be exact. i am crazy!) i am also really cheap when it comes to name brand vs. store brand. i always will by the store brand when it comes to household items and food. (except yogurt and mac and cheese) i personally think its a waste to by the WAY more expensive brands if you are just going to wipe your butt with it and flush it down the toilet! and why buy name brand foods when the store brand has the same ingredients. there are exceptions, yes, but usually no. :) and everyone has their own opinion.
but the point of this post was to find out how you save a buck? what do you do to save? im curious and would love your input, i love saving a buck!:)



flour tortillas
3 tbsp. shortening
1 tsp. salt
2 c. flour
3/4 c. water
Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl. Cut in shortening. Add water to make dough. Take handful of dough and roll out on a lightly floured board, as thin as you can. Bake on a lightly greased griddle. Turn to brown.

6 comments:

Whitney said...

So, I've been lovin' your pictures and showing them to Brad and he decided we need a new camera. Well...and some photography skills. He's like...whoa...her pictures look good. Why don't ours look like that? So, I need you to teach me everything you know. JK but actually, honestly, you are my hero because you are so crafty and cutsie and sew-ee and cook-ey (ha ha cookie) and just a great mom!! Teach me everything!!

Fullerton Family said...

Oh yum, those tortillas look so good! I'm going to have to try them! I also buy most everything store brand. It usually tastes the same and costs much less! I don't have anything to add, as most of the things I do you already do!

Pottruffs said...

Jessica, I'm so glad you put up recipes too. I am going to make those. We have been doing the pancake thing for a while, since getting low on money meant eggs, flour, sugar and milk. Learning to make a whole lot of things, just haven't made tortillas. I will have to do those, my hubby loves tortillas and hates when I pass them up in the store. We have even made our own berry syrups for the pancakes. Yum. Keep up the work on the bread, I can't quite get it yet either, but my honey makes the best bread. Takes practice, good luck.

Tatum said...

Everything tastes better homemade. I never use a pancake mix either! Your tortilla's look absolutely delicious! We have to buy a lot of specialty food from the health store,(as you know) so unfortunately we don't save- we SPEND! Kids!!!

andrea said...

Ha! I love your post! I have the best pancake recipe ever from my Grandma, I'll have to post it to your recipe blog :) I always grew up with my mom making all that stuff, so at first when I moved out I was liking the premade frosting, dressings ect. Now I know, mama knows best :) I love homemade everything.

The biggest way I've been saving lately on our grocery bill is by skipping the trip to costco and buying groceries each week. I don't know why I was buying food like I had to feed a family of 7! Now I just cook enough for us and we're not stuck with leftovers, plus we get all kinds of different meals and meats. I also have at least 3 meatless meals each week.

ashley b said...

I love homemade tortillas but have never made them myself. I will have to try that they look delish! We eat mexican food A LOT at our house so when it's not so warm I like to make my own refried beans. So much cheeper and tastier! That would probably be hard in the valley of the sun though. A lady I know here makes a huge batch one day and bottles them so she doesn't have to heat up her house everytime. I also try to buy in bulk when I find good sales on frozen (yay for a second freezer) or canned foods and cleaners. Other than that I think you've pretty much covered everything I do. Next year though I'm planning on doing a small garden. I spend more money on produce and almost always something goes bad before I can use it!