Wednesday, November 12, 2008

finding joy in the journey

"If you have childrem who are grown and gone, in all likelihood you have occasionally felt pangs of loss and the recognition that you didnt appreciate that time of life as much as you should have. Of course, there is no going back, but only forward.




Rather than dwelling on the past, we should make the most of today, of the here and now, doing all we can to provide pleasant memories for the future.



If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will - to your surprise- miss them profoundly.




Stresses in our lives come regardless of our circumstances. We must deal with them the best we can. But we should not let them get in the way of what is most important- and what is most important almost always involves the people around us. Often we assume that they must know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know. We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us."

President Tomas S. Monson


I believe these words where spoken just for me. Last night i picked up the Ensign and read these words. How fitting they are for me right now, in my times of struggle and battle with myself. This journey can be a joy, I just need to find it, in all the everyday things. Find the small joys. I am not very good with words and cant explain exactly how i feel. I have struggled with depression on and off for a long time. I have never wanted to admit it or do anything to fix it, because that may mean going to tell all of my personal thoughts to someone i dont know. How much this talk helped me. I am just so grateful for a prophet who listens to the Lord and who can speak to us the words of the Lord. How grateful i am for this talk. How grateful i am for this season. The season of thanks and gratitude.
You can read the rest of the talk here.

13 comments:

Lindsey said...

What a great post. I know exactly how you feel sometimes.

And lovely pictures as always! By the way I love your earrings and the girls look beautiful!

Thanks for sharing today :)

Tatum said...

My visiting teachers brought me this message last week and I just balled. It was exactly what I needed to hear. It is again exactly what I needed to hear TODAY. I love those words.

Julz said...

I am proud to call you my "Best Friend". I love you Hess! You are my Inspiration!

Andrea and Blake said...

Thanks for the uplifting words, they are always needed when raising kid! *PS* I've struggled with anxiety since High School so I understand a little bit about depression! It's hard to just talk about it, but you are not alone I promise. Tis the Season

Anonymous said...

I remember listening to that talk at conference and running up stairs to change the header on my blog to "finding the joy in the journey" because that's what I have to do everyday or I get soooo overwhelmed and then I remind myself of the saying "he never said it would be easy, he just said it would be worth it". I am grateful for the guidance we have in our church, I can't imagine how much harder life would be without it.

shalynn said...

i don't remember how i found your blog, but i love it! this post was perfect for me as well. thanks for the inspiration!

Lexi said...

I agree with everyone else. I think you were meant to post this for all of us. I think this was exactly what I needed to hear right now in my stressful time of transition and changes and often putting the kids on the back burner. Thanks!

Caitlin said...

That is the best. I am going to post it on my blog as well...hope you dont mind. I also love the new haircut at your house...Some days are just like that huh? I have had like seven months straight of them but then we hear words like that and we have to remember that it is pretty funny and everything works out. You are so lovely lovely....

Kendyl said...

thats crazy because yesterday was kind of a calm day, sick baby, karsyn glued to the tv.. so i sad down and read that very talk!! Its so good! I know how you feel! Oh wow, well.... are you going to be up next week for the berry merry?

Jerry and Charlsye Miller said...

Your little girls are so cute! I haven't seen or talked to you in forever! I hope that everything is going well for you! I read this very talk on Sunday night and man did I need it. It's amazing how the Prophet can have one talk that reaches out to so many people. I hope the talk helped you as much as it helped me too!!

Unknown said...

I absolutally loved that talk too. I made it a goal to read the whole ensign this month. Isn't it amazing how it makes you feel truely inspired to go on in life. Your kids are adorible too. Man they are getting so big.

Swasey family said...

I just love your blog it is always so uplifting!That was a wonderful talk that president Monson gave I felt it hit home!

Ashley Harris said...

Those pictures were just too precious! Your daughters are beautiful! And you are too!

Beautiful words, thank you for that reminder. :)