Wednesday, September 24, 2008

our story

a few of you have asked about my engagement in a week story. so the story goes.....


i will start before the beginning. i had been dating a guy for two years during high school. we were really good friends, our families got along great. he turned 19 and got his mission call. lets just say, i thought my life had ended for 2 years. i didnt know what i was going to do for those years and i was set on waiting for him. i lived in the small town of show low, not a whole lot to do there. so i decided to move to the hot valley, go to school and find a job basically to keep myself busy. i moved in with my grandpa. i found a job with a dentist who was 5 foot with orange hair. all the ladies that worked there were awful and so rude. it was a nightmare. i hated it. i cried every night on my drive home. so, my boyfriends, missionaries, (whatever you want to call him :), keeping his name safe, but im sure alot of you know who he is) sister helped me with my resume and found me a couple of dentists to interview with through friends of hers. i waited to here back from a few of them, in the meantime, dreading my job. one day, i got a phone call, and i will never forget it. it changed my life forever. It was Dr. Madsen. His assistant was going in for surgery and would be out of work for awhile and he needed someone to fill her spot while she would be gone. I told him my situation. He was so kind and so caring. It was a done deal, over the phone! I was to start there the following week. So i told Dr. Short Stuff i was done. i was so relieved. My first day at Dr. Madsens was great. I got along well with everyone and i loved the atmosphere. it was fabulous. so why on earth, you are wondering, am i telling you this. well let me tell you, on Oct. 30th, Dr. Madsen pulled me aside before i went and got one of the patients to seat him. He said, with a grin on his face while pointing to a name on the schedule," you tell me if you think he is good looking!" The name was Mark Higbee. I was kinda of taken back. Dr. Madsen knew i was "dating someone". Why would he say that? So i grinned back and said, "oooookkkk" with my eyebrows raised and a questioned look on my face. So i grabbed Marks chart, went to the waiting room and called the name, "Mark Higbee?????" i said... wondering who this guy is. the "how are you" conversation went on. we arrived to the room after what seemed like decades. my heart was pounding!!! why??? i felt silly that i was so nervous. but he WAS good looking. and i didn't want to admit it. i took his xrays and got out of the room as soon as i could. i went straight to Dr. M's office and said with a smile, "yes he is cute!" :) Dr. M continued to tell me this was Marks "home from his mission check up", and how he went to Texas, and he is the youngest of 10, and how he has been his dentist since Mark was 5. so we cleaned his teeth, and yes, i sucked his spit. with the spit sucker. so romantic! :) i know. i couldn't stop smiling, the whole time. good thing we wore masks. because i was ear to ear! so i thought i would never see him again. Or at least for awhile. Little did i know he was coming in the next day, for some fillings. during the appointment, Dr. M kept making comments like, "Jessica's writing a missionary, but shes still available." and "someone else always comes along". and on and on. i could only laugh and smile. i was struck. after we were done filling the wholes in his mouth (he does have very good teeth by the way), Mark asked me if i was doing anything that night, Halloween night. of course i wasn't, i had no friends there. so i took him up on his offer. he asked for my number and my mind went completely blank! i didn't know my number, my name, where a pen was, nothing. We hung out that night at one of his friends houses. We played the "would you rather" game for hours. i learned a lot about him and who he was. We hung out everyday after that. It was like i knew him my whole life. We had the same goals, same dreams, same likes. We had an amazing connection. It was like some kind of literal force between us that i could feel. When i was near him, it was like a energy surrounding us drawing me to him, i cant really describe it any other way. We both knew. I knew. I knew he was "the one". We were engaged one week later, we were unofficially engaged, and became official on Thanksgiving day. It was hard, because family and others wondered how i could date someone for 2 years, meet someone new and be engaged in a week. I couldn't explain it. I just knew. It was right. It felt right. I knew it was right. That's all i could say. And to this day, i know that was the most right decision i have made in all my life. I know my Heavenly Father played a part in our meeting. As Dr. M says," it was no coincidence." It is funny to think that i have known my husband for four years and we have been married for four years. i would never have changed a thing. i have the most amazing husband. he is so giving, patient, loving, selfless. he is everything i need in my life. I will be forever greatful to my Father in Heaven for bringing us together. I think Dr. Madsen had a part in it too! :)

9 comments:

Addie Gaylord said...

oh my goodness i loved that story. i too as well was wondering about your one week engagment.
i dont know if my husband knew it but i was the just like you. the first time i saw him i knew he was the one.
that is a great story thanks for sharing and look how beautiful your girls are?
amazing how heavenly father works.

Erin said...

Good story!! I love how dr. madsen played such a part in it. It's so crazy how things work out.

Ashley Madsen said...

Very good story! I kind of got into it since my last name is Madsen. (even though I don't know any of my husband's relatives that are dentists.) Shucks! Anyway, I am in the job situation currently with the first job! I go home miserable everyday, don't want to go in the morning... Not fun! So I'm crossing my fingers for some random golden situation to find me while I'm lookin!

Tatum said...

I remember you guys telling us this story when we first met in our little apartments. It is such an awesome story, "love stories" are always magical! You are too cute!

Natalie said...

Mark sure is a great guy!
Remember, soon after you met him,I went on a "double" with you and happened to yell, "He is really cute" through the peek hole in my front door???? Of course he heard me :) I was so embarassed

Britney said...

I'd just like to make one small adjustment to the story...remember how you dragged ME to that Halloween party because you were nervous to go by yourself?! LOL that was funny :) And a little awkward :) So glad you guys are so happy and are making beautiful babies!!

Jessica said...

haha! yes brit! thank you so much for coming with me! i WAS way nervous! but i thank you!
and natalie.... i just laughed my head off! that was sooo funny! i remeber it like it was yesterday. and we were eating pb and js when they picked us up and asked us why we were eating? because we were GOING TO EAT ON THE DATE!!! so hilarious! thank you, you two!

Julz said...

HaHa that story is so cute! I knew you got engaged in two weeks but I don't think you ever told me the whole story. Or Maybe you did. I tell you what having kids has made my memory a pile of mush. I love you guys together and I have always believed that you made the right decision. Mark loves his family and provides well for his family. I love watching you two together. I always think you two must have so much fun together. Oh and by the way his laugh is so infectious. When you were at my house I mostly couldnt stop laughing mainly cuz he was laughing. HaHa I love hanging out with you guys, I wish we could do it more often darn it. I luv ya, Miss ya.

Lexi said...

i love to hear the story of you and mark from your perspective. i only got to see it from marks perspective which was secretive through his dad because mark didn't want anyone to ruin it lol. It was really funny.